Thursday, January 23, 2014

Happy Birthday, My Little Penguin!

Wednesday was my sweet baby boy's 1st birthday! We got a dusting of snow down here in NC so we had a 2 hour delay - hooray! So Fo4 got whole-wheat strawberry pancakes for breakfast before we headed out the door to daycare and work.

The real celebration was this past Saturday. I really love themed parties. I feel like one of my spiritual gifts is hospitality and I really like to take it to the next level when it's time to plan a social gathering!



For Fo4's birthday we had a penguin themed party. We found some inspiration online for a winter "one"derland invitation and my mom got to work on that for me.



Meanwhile Fo4 and I created salt dough handprint and hand-painted snowflake ornaments as favors.



Then we had to do a slightly themed dessert display - clearly: Arctic Water, Polar Blast, Glacier Bites, Snow Buddies, a Whole Foods penguin cake and of course, swizzle straws.

excuse the lighting - the sunlight was beaming through...



I found a few paper lanterns at Party City and an adorable felt banner at Target.



For my husband's mustache-themed 30th birthday party I served up my first nacho bar - and I basically fell in love. It is so easy and customizable for each guest. So, we decided that although it may not go exactly with the theme - it was perfect for this type of event. We also had huge fruit and veggie trays so that there would be plenty of healthy options. You know to balance out the massive amount of melted cheese.


I wasn't sure what to do about a cake for him, so I decided to get a matching cupcake from Whole Foods. He basically devoured the entire thing. I can't blame him - I would have done the same. These are moments when we know he is my child.




He obviously won't remember this party (and he is a boy - so he probably won't even care about the little details), but that's okay because he had such a blast and that is something I will never forget.



What great ideas do you have for themed birthday parties? Almost time to start planning next year's party!





2 comments:

  1. I like the pic with the light beaming through the Artic Blast punch...it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really does! the only thing is you can't see the name tags...but those are minor details!

    ReplyDelete