Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bé chamel...Where have you been all my life?


I am addicted to the Food Network. I am not an avid watcher, or a big fan...I must confess I am an addict. I could watch cooking shows over and over again. And I do. When a rerun of Ina Garten's Shrimp Orzo comes on I do not change the channel. I sit in awe of her culinary tools and prowess.

I may fantasize about having my own show on Food Network one day, although I will neither confirm or deny it here, in such a public arena.

Anyhow, the other day I was watching one of my personal favorites, Giada de Laurentiis. She was making a lasagna with spinach lasagna noodles, mushrooms, and a béchamel sauce. I looked around town for the spinach lasagna noodles, and had no luck. But the other day at Trader Joe's I did find Spinach and Chive linguine noodles. I thought..maybe I should deconstruct her lasagna and today I did.

Before I get on to the recipe though I must warn you: if you have never had béchamel sauce before...you may find yourself moved to tears. I stood over that beautiful pot of creamy goodness and tears came to my eyes as I thought, "Why have I never tasted this in my 25 years?"

I did get the basic béchamel recipe from Giada's Food Network site, I used asiago cheese instead of fontina. Here is a link to her recipe.

Spinach and Chive Linguine with Mushrooms and Asiago Cream Sauce

Cream Sauce:
1 stick of butter
1 cup and 2 tbsp flour
1 qt. whole milk
1 pinch grated nutmeg
1 cup grated asiago cheese
1/2 pound prisciutto, julienned
salt and pepper

Mushrooms:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb Crimini mushrooms, quartered (wipe to clean)
1/2 lb Shitake mushrooms, quartered (wipe to clean)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup Sauvignan Blanc
salt and pepper

Pasta:
1 package of Trader Joe's Spinach and Chive Linguine

Mushrooms:
In a large skillet add the olive oil and heat to medium high
Add the garlic and shallots and cook until tender about 3 minutes
Add the quartered mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes
Add the wine and let simmer until the mushrooms are tender








Asiago Cream Sauce:
In a medium sauce pan melt 1 stick of butter
Add the flour and whisk until the combination is smooth
Continue whisking and gradually add the quart of whole milk
Continue to whisk and heat sauce to a simmer
Whisk until the sauce is thick enough that when you place a wooden spoon in the sauce will stick to the back of the spoon
Remove from heat
Add nutmeg
Then add the asiago cheese and stir until all of the cheese has melted
Add the prisciutto and the salt and pepper, stir and let rest

In a large pot, heat 1 1/2 qts of water
add salt
heat on medium high until a rolling boil
Add pasta and cook for 7 minutes to al dente

To serve:
layer the spinach and chive pasta, with the mushrooms and top with the sauce.
to garnish add about 1 to 2 tbsp of grated asiago and 1 tbsp chopped basil

You will love it!


Warning: the sauce is thick so do not eat 2 of Grandmama's Blueberry Muffins before this dish (personal experience!) And look for that recipe tomorrow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment