Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pan Seared Grouper with Spinach and Gorgonzola


Bonefish holds a special place in my heart. Forrest took me there for our first date. I ordered the salmon with the mango salsa and he ordered the spinach and gorgonzola swordfish. We had just made our way through the Bang Bang Shrimp when our meals came out. He looked a little uneasy, "Wow, dinner came fast." After we finished our scrumtrilescent (spelling suggestions?) meal he very romantically asked me to be his girlfriend (with sweat rolling from his brow). Since then every time we go back he orders the same meal. If it isn't on the menu he asks for it, and they make it just for him.

On our humble salaries, Bonefish is reserved for special occasions. Recently I have had a hankering for that spinach gorgonzola dish, but birthdays and Christmas are far behind us now. I have been trying to think of a make believe holiday to celebrate, but nothing clever comes to mind. Instead of brewing over how to get to Bonefish, I decided to take matters into my own kitchen.

In one brave step I snatched up the spinach and gorgonzola cheese at Trader Joe's. On the way home I stopped by the local seafood market and pondered which fish to try. No swordfish was in. Tuna wouldn't do. The rockfish didn't look so hot. But the grouper looked delicious. I have never cooked grouper before, but it looked like it would hold up okay.

As a side story: When I was at the seafood market a tourist was in front of me in line. He asked for Sashimi quality tuna. As the gentleman was cutting the tuna steaks this young man asked, "Where do you do your fishing, the York River?" The waterman mumbled yes. The young tourist thought for a bit and then asked, "Do these tuna swim up the York River?" special.



Anyhow enough of my rambling...here is the recipe:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2 tbsp butter
1 large grouper filet (sliced into 2 or 3 smaller pieces for cooking...about 4 oz each)
1 cup fresh spinach (trim the stems)
1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper

Heat a skillet to medium high, when it is hot add 2 tbsp of butter
Salt and pepper the fish
Once the butter has melted add the fish and let cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crispy and brown
Steam the fresh spinach (you can use a steaming basket on the stove or a steamer in the microwave)
Remove filets from skillet and place them in a buttered baking dish
Place the spinach on top of the filets
Top with the gorgonzola cheese
Place baking dish in the oven until cheese melts

Serve over Trader Joe's Mushroom and Garlic Risotto

This dish just melts in your mouth. I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment