Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Perfecting the Pesto Sauce

I tried making pesto sauce a few weeks ago. Forrest thought it was delicious, but I knew something about it wasn't just right. This time though, I think I got it spot on. You can do so much with pesto sauce once you make it. You can spread it on some toasted bread and top with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, you can use it as a sauce on pizza (like the Tiffany pizza mentioned in an earlier post) or you can toss any kind of pasta in it to get a nice change from tomato-based sauces. All you really need to make pesto is food processor and a few essential ingredients.

Also as a side note: My mom asked me the other day where do I get all of the recipes I post on my blog. In case you are wondering the same thing...almost all of my recipes are original. However, I do give credit where credit is due to chefs I borrow recipes from. I try to post a link to their recipes or give the title of the cookbook. If I don't mention another chef's name, or provide a link, then the recipe comes from my own experience and creativity.

Pesto Sauce
2.5 oz of fresh basil (I used a package of Infinite from Trader Joe's b/c my basil has burned up in the Virginia Heat)
2 cups fresh spinach
The juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic, roasted
olive oil

To roast the garlic:
Preheat the oven to 400-425
Cut off the top 1/4 inch or so of a whole garlic head
Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper
Wrap in aluminum foil and roast for about 15 to 20 mins until tender
(I used a small head of organic garlic...if you use a larger head it will take longer)
Remove and let cool

In the food processor:
Add the basil and about 2 tbsp of olive oil and process
Add 1 cup of the spinach and 2 tbsp of olive oil and process
Add the 2nd cup of spinach and 2 tbsp of olive oil and process
Add the toasted pine nuts, the roasted garlic cloves, and the lemon juice, salt and pepper and 2 more tbsp of olive oil and process
Continue adding olive oil until the sauce is more saucy and less leafy and until all of the ingredients are well processed







Now if you want to make this in larger quantities go right ahead. I have a very small food processor (but very mighty) so I can only make smaller portions, but make a bigger batch, freeze half and save it for another day!


So for last night's dinner I used this pesto sauce with Trader Joe's Cheese Tortellini, but you can use any kind of pasta for this dish. I always add in chopped sun-dried tomatoes and the following recipe for sautéed mushrooms. You will love it!

Sautéed Mushrooms:
1 large package of button mushrooms or baby bellas
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup Marsala wine (or any wine you have around the house)
2 tbsp olive oil

First remove the stems from the mushrooms and either wipe with a paper towel or remove the outer skin
Then preheat a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil to medium heat
Add shallots and garlic, cook until tender
Add mushrooms and toss with shallots, garlic and olive oil
Add the wine and cook until tender




3 comments:

  1. Megan - I don't have a food processor, do you think my blender would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, glad you shared this. Judy showed me how to make pesto rather than buying it about a year ago and now I make it about twice a week. Goes well w/ almost everything.

    -Joel Knight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim--You might be able to use a blender. I use my blender for a lot of things people use a processor for b/c my processor is so small. I did not have a lot of luck with my blender b/c the spinach and basil were making the blade stick. But I would love to let you borrow my processor if your blender doesn't work!

    Joel--thanks! I love homemade pesto and I think once you find a recipe that you like....it makes so much more than that tiny little bottle you can buy at the store..and it can add so much flavor to so many different foods! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete