Thursday, July 15, 2010

Throwback: My First Original Recipe



When I first moved out into my own apartment I decided to really commit to cooking my own food. For the first few months I followed many recipes very strictly, never straying from the directions. One day in the spring I decided to make my own recipe using some of my favorite ingredients. I have worked on it over the years and it really is a big hit with my family. You can add other ingredients you might like to it as well.
Also while making this dinner at my parents house after my mom's last surgery I got to use her awesome camera to get the pics. For Christmas I think Santa is going to bring Casita Cory an awesome camera like that so that the images on my blog can be more professional!!!

Three Amigos Casserole
In cooking I have found that there are three ingredients I use more than anything else: beans, corn, and onions. Expect no less in this recipe.

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ear of corn, shucked, slice kernels from the ear
2 cans of either diced tomatoes with green chilies or fire roasted
1 package of Trader Joe's frozen brown rice, or 1 bag of 10 min brown rice (in a bag)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 F.
In a large skillet add 3 tbsp olive oil and preheat to medium heat.
In another deeper skillet at 2 tbsp olive oil and preheat to medium heat.
Grease a clear baking dish with a spray oil or rub olive oil on the inside of the pan

Pat down the chicken breast with a paper towel.
Cut them into 1 inch cubes and season with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
Place in the first skillet and cook, rotating occasionally until all of the pieces are cooked through.
Remove and let cool, about 10 minutes.
Cut into smaller pieces and set aside.

In the deeper skillet add the onion and green pepper and cook until they start to become tender.
Add the fresh corn kernels and cook until they become tender.
Add in the the black beans and the tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper.
(if you want to kick it up a notch add in tsp cracked red pepper)
Lower to a simmer and cook for about 7 minutes.
Cut off the heat and mix in the chicken.



Prepare your rice...however it is you need to do it just follow the box directions. (I cheat here and use TJs frozen rice because it is so much easier)



Mix the rice into the deep skillet with all of the other ingredients then transfer to the baking dish.
Top with the cheese and bake at 425 until the cheese starts to brown and form a delicious crust.

You will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment