Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Put Your Man (or Teenager) to Work in the Kitchen :)



Tuesday is a very busy day for me. I start off at 6:30 in the morning with my bootcamp class, then I pass a few hours at the pool, spend some time working on homework, catch a nap, then off to the gym to teach my step class. After that I shower quickly at the gym and head straight to church for my women's Bible study. I get home way too late in the evening to cook dinner. And let's be honest, I'm not giving up my nap time or pool time to make dinner in advance. Also Forrest and I really try to avoid buying prepared foods or anything prepackaged or over-processed. So, the wonderful husband that I have has offered to cook dinner on these hectic days...under one condition...that I make sure we have the ingredients and leave him some pretty easy to follow directions. Last week he actually picked up chicken and asparagus and grilled them and baked up some delicious sweet potatoes. He is becoming quite the sous-chef.

Anyhow this week I had an idea for a Southwest Pizza so I left him the following directions and we had a super healthy and delicious dinner...and I didn't have to make it...which sometimes is just awesome :)

Southwest Pizza
1 can black beans
1 ear of corn
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
2 tsp cracked red pepper
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 large whole wheat pizza crust
1 1/2 cups Lite Mexican Cheese (Trader Joe's)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Preheat grill pan to medium-high heat
Shuck the ear of corn and remove any "hairs", drizzle with olive oil and place on the grill pan, rotating until all sides are slightly charred
Remove and let cool, then cut the kernels off
Rinse the can of black beans and drain them. Gently roll them in a paper towel to make sure they are dry.
Place the whole wheat pizza crust on a pizza stone and drizzle 2 tbsp of olive on the top and spread evenly
Add salt, pepper, and cracked red pepper
Pile on the black beans, corn, green pepper, red onion, and tomato
Top with the cheese
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned on top (light brown...no burning here)
Remove and let cool a bit before slicing and serving.
Chop up the cilantro and top the pizza with it for extra flavor. Scallions would work well here too.

If you want to make sure your sous-chef is successful in the kitchen leave them these directions, and probably pull out all of the tools they will need. If you have time you can pre-chop the onion, green pepper, and take care of the corn earlier too. If you leave them the chopping to do....some directions like "remove the skin from the onion" might also be helpful.

This pizza was fabulous. You could serve it with guacamole, sour cream or for a healthier dish with pico de gallo (Trader Joe's has an awesome pre-made Pico that is a big hit!) We ate it straight up and loved it!

Let me know how you like it.

P.S.: This is all that remains....

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, this looks wonderful and pizza being my favorite food ever, I can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I could eat pizza 7 million ways and never get tired of it. I think you will really enjoy it and the good thing is that though it may not have any meat...it isn't short on protein with all of those black beans! Let me know how you like it once you try it!

    ReplyDelete