Monday, November 21, 2011

A Fall Famer's Market Meal

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. 75 and sunny in November. You just cannot complain about that. I hadn't made a trip to the State Farmer's Market for a while, so I decided it would be the perfect thing for a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I had a recipe in mind that I recently pinned over on Pinterest for Butternut Squash & Tagliatelle with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce which I found on the Cook & Be Merry blog.




With the recipe in hand, I headed out on the 40, getting lost only twice before making my way to the market.

The recipe calls for 6 Thai chilis, but the pepper-lady at the market didn't have any of those. I opted for 3 Anaheim and 3 Cubanelle peppers instead for a mix of hot and sweet. I also picked up the butternut squash, a few apples, along with some parsley, arugala and totsoi.




When I got home I roasted up the veggies for the sauce, then sauteed the butternut squash while the pasta cooked. It looked gorgeous and carried the light fresh flavor of a fall harvest.


Okay, mine looks totally different from hers, but I did have to make a few changes. To see her original recipe click on the link above. Here is the Casita Cory version:

Butternut Squash & Papperdelle with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
3 Anaheim Peppers, seeded and sliced
3 Cubanelle Peppers, seeded and sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
1 Red Onion, seeded and sliced
4 Cloves Garlic, whole 
1 tsp cumin (I used ground)
3 tbsp olive oil

  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. Place the peppers, onion and garlic on a baking sheet.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle the cumin evenly over the veggies
  4. Bake for 45 mins or until the peppers start to char, tossing the vegetables occasionally
  5. While the peppers and onions are still warm, scrape them from the pan into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
 Pappardelle & Butternut Squash
 1 medium butternut squash
2 bunches of fresh arugula
3 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 8 oz package of pappardelle pasta



1. Heat the water to cook the pasta according to package directions.
2.  Cut the  butternut squash into 1 inch cubes
3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive in a medium skillet
4. The arugula I found at the market has larger leaves than that in the original recipe and the one we most frequently find at the grocery store. It has a darker green color, which makes it gorgeous. I did tear/cut it into smaller pieces.
5. Zest the lemon and set aside.
6. Cook the butternut squash (I added some S&P) until it browns on the sides.  Then squeeze the lemon over the butternut squash and add the zest. Stir to mix.
7. After straining the pasta, return it to the pan, stir in the roasted red pepper sauce and plate that.
8. Top with the butternut squash, parsley and arugula. I stirred mine just a little bit to mix the ingredients together.


The flavors were light and very fresh, and it contains the hidden antioxidants in the peppers, along with the vitamins in the greens.

Side note: I am making some changes to the blog. I am trying to design it myself and create the html code for it, so it is a trial and error process. Please forgive me as it changes until I find what I'm really looking for!

Happy Monday and I hope you enjoy the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment