Sunday, November 13, 2011

Oh Brother!

I am so excited!!!! A few weeks ago I called my mom and told her that I wanted a sewing machine for Christmas. I have always wanted to learn to sew, but I haven't really had much motivation in the past to learn to sew something. Now that I am reading more DIY blogs, I want to learn how to sew to do some things for our house to help save some money.

This weekend Forrest and I spent a few wonderful days back on the Packett farm, and when we pulled into the house on Friday night, she had her old Brother sewing machine waiting for me. She had taken it to a local sewing machine repairman and had it shining like new.

 


We started out by trying a few different stitches and learning how to get everything set up. Mom had a few pieces of an old quilt that had been cut up in the attic, so we brought those down so she could teach me how to make a pillow.





My mom is a great teacher, and with her guidance I was able to piece together this really cute little pillow!








I don't have anywhere to put it right now...since we are packing up next weekend and getting ready for our second move in 6 months at the beginning of December. Luckily this time we are just moving about 20 miles north, but I can't wait to find a sweet little spot to put this pillow in the new house!

2 comments:

  1. This is much prettier than my first sewing project. Grannie helped me make a dress when I was six (she probably did most of the work). It was a gray and black plaid fabric which I am sure was a leftover piece from one of her seamstress jobs. She had many little side jobs by which she earned money to fund her shopping trips to downtown Richmond. Anyway, that day I walked home from her house wearing my new plaid, sleeveless dress and thought I was wearing a million dollar dress! She taught me to knit and crochet, as well. However, I have not acquired the skills for detail that she had. Gosh, I miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo Megan! What a cute little pillow you made! I don't have a lick of talent for sewing. For some reason, no matter what I do, I wind up with a matted tangle of thread the size of a grape on the underside of everything I try to sew. Experts click their tongues and tell me to adjust my bobbin tension . . . blah, blah, blah . . . and ten minutes later it's the same deal. Here's hoping you don't ever have that particular curse!

    ReplyDelete