Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

The other day I was reading what Kait over at Mrs. DIY & The Tennis Guy has been up to recently. I saw her post about Pumpkin Streusel Muffins with Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Filling and have been dying to try them out ever since. 

I adapted the recipe from the one on her post, mostly because after filling up one muffin pan with batter, I ran out, and had a lot of steusel & cinnamon filling left over (which is fine...I plan on making some more tonight!). I actually like only making about 12 to 18 muffins because I have no self-discipline and if there were 24 in the kitchen...I'd probably eat them all!

Pumpkin Struesel Muffins (makes 12)

1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1  tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract


Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Streusel Topping:
3/4 c oats
1/2 tbsp flour
1/6 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
3 tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Fill1 muffin pan with muffin liners 
3. Combine the 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling) in a medium bowl and set aside



4. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a medium bowl, mix together with a whisk





5. In an electric mixer, combine the sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla and mix on a low speed for 2 minutes.
6. Continue mixing and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix at medium-low speed for 2 minutes.


7. To make the streusel topping, combine the oats, flour, cinnamon nutmeg, brown sugar and cold butter. Use your hands to incorporate all of the ingredients until it is a crumbly mixture. 



8. Pour batter into the cups until they are 1/2 full. 
9. Top each with the brown sugar and cinnamon filling.


10. Fill the muffin cups all the way up and top with the streusel topping. 
 


11. Bake for 15 to 20 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



2 comments:

  1. So sad I didn't see these in the teachers' lounge . . .

    :-P

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sorry! I wanted to bring some in, but after the first night there were only like 4 left, so I felt bad not having enough to share with everyone! But I plan on making them again soon and I will set aside the school ones first!

    ReplyDelete