Thursday, October 20, 2011

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Bisque

On a recent trip to the North Carolina State Farmers Market (a place you must visit if you are ever in town for a few days!), I picked up sweet potatoes to have with veggie soup and a small butternut squash to make one of my favorite fall flat breads. We ate sweet potatoes for three nights in a row, and after the last night even the butter and brown sugar were failing to keep our taste buds interested.

This was the week of my crazy cooking extravaganza to get ready for my 9 week menu plan, so I had so much food around the house that I never ended up buying the ingredients to make the flat bread. I needed to figure out something to do with these two ingredients so they didn't go to waste.

I love soups in the fall, and thought that maybe I could put those sweet potatoes into some sort of bisque. I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Bisque online, which helped me decide what spices to add. I wasn't sure what flavor profile to go for with this, and her recipe caught my attention because I love the combination of chili powder and cinnamon. Here is what I used...(I forgot to measure the spices. I just kind of threw them in and it worked out fine!)


Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp coriander
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 large pre-baked sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2in chunks
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2in chunks
1 qt Chicken Stock
2 tbsp butter or olive oil
(You can also use a sweet potato that has not been cooked and add it when you add the butternut squash)


What you do now is...

1. Preheat a stock pot to medium-low and add in the butter
2. When the butter melts, add in the onions and cook until they caramelize in the butter
3. Remove a few onion slivers to serve with the soup and add the garlic


 4. Add in the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chili powder, mix with the onions and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes
5. Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up the spices off the bottom of the pan

 
6. Add the butternut squash (and fresh sweet potato)
7. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes (I added in my cooked sweet potato after about 20 minutes)


8. Remove from heat and add the soup contents to a blender and puree to a smooth texture



9. Top with the caramelized onions and serve


I served this with Rib Eye steaks and a salad of fresh greens. This made enough that Forrest and I had a bowl the next evening with dinner as well. It is the perfect dinner for the cool evenings headed our way with the coming of the fall.






No comments:

Post a Comment