Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mr. Haas's Pizza

I love pizza and Mexican food. Anytime I can find a way to put those two things together is magic. The following is a recipe I made this past week, and let me say that the creaminess of the avocados with the spiciness of the jalapeños and the juiciness of the fresh tomatoes...wow. I made one pizza thinking it would be enough to feed the two of us. I was wrong. We both felt disappointed that there wasn't more and I ended up sacrificing my third piece to feed the hungry man who lives with me.


Mr. Haas's Pizza

Ingredients:
1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced (into little circles)
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1 roma tomato, sliced
a little less than a 1/4 cup frozen corn
2 tbsp medium salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
1 Trader Joe's pizza crust
2 tbsp corn meal
1tbsp olive oil
1 Haas avocado cut into large chunks

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 F
Follow the directions for getting the pizza crust to room temp
Place 2 tbsp corn meal on the pizza stone and roll the pizza crust out to desired size
Brush 1 tbsp olive oil over the crust and bake until the crust starts to bubble up
Heat the frozen corn in the microwave for about 1min 30sec
Remove the crust from the oven and spread the salsa out over the crust with the back of a spoon
Layer the corn, jalapeños, onion and tomato on the crust
Top with the cheddar jack cheese
Bake until the cheese melts and starts to brown
Remove and top with the avocado chunks

Serves ~6 medium pizza slices

It was light and fresh and absolutely delicious. Let me know what you think of it. 

Also, let me know if you have any ideas of how to give pizza a Southwest twist!

No comments:

Post a Comment