Monday, October 17, 2011

DIY Fall Wedding Ideas

Today Forrest and I celebrate 2 years of wedded bliss. Woo hoo! We kind of love October because we started dating in October of 2006, got engaged in October of 2008 and were married October 17, 2009. October just so happens to be a pretty good month for the Corys!

To celebrate our special day, today's post is focusing on some of the DIY ideas we really enjoyed putting together, and the little impact each thing had on our wedding.


I love designing graphics on my computer. I had a Mac at the time with Microsoft Word, so my graphic design capabilities were limited, but I did manage to design a few things I really enjoyed.

Our wedding programs:  I designed them and my Dad had them printed by a friend of his (who so kindly copied and folded them for FREE!)




Menus: We had a buffet with several stations, so I wanted our guests to know what options were available.



Table Decorations:  Each table was named after a city Forrest and I had traveled to while we were dating. We made table markers with pictures of Forrest and me in those cities.




Table Assignments & Favors:
While Forrest and I were dating, he played baseball all over the country. During the 6 to 8 months he was playing ball, I spent many weekends jet-setting to wherever he was to see him for a few days. I don't even know how many different flights I took during those 3 years. We wanted people to understand that aspect of our relationship somehow through our wedding. With each table named after a city, we thought it would be cool to assign people to tables by using plane tickets. I designed a template for the plane tickets and each person received one as they entered the reception with their name and table "destination." We also gave luggage tags as favors. The front said, "Thanks for being part of our special day," and the back had each guest's first and last names.



Pumpkin Dip Recipe: Then we bagged up ginger snaps, attached a recipe for Pumpkin Dip to each and set them at each place setting.


Our Pumpkin: Forrest proposed to me in a pumpkin patch, and with our special attachment to October, we wanted to have a fall wedding that highlighted some of our favorite things about the season. The color orange played a prominate role in the wedding. We had orange everywhere!!! When we first got engaged I wanted everything to be pumpkin, but I decided with so much orange it might be over the top. The one pumpkin I did commit to in the wedding was the flower arrangement my flower girl carried. My florist (who was retired and worked out of her home and saved me sooo much $$$ on my flowers...and did a fabulous job!) hallowed out a pumpkin and filled it with complimentary flowers to the bridesmaids' bouquets.


Bridesmaids Gifts: I gave each bridesmaid a dark silver clutch to bring to the wedding. To personalize them for all the girls, I found vintage pendants to put on each.



Here are some of the other things I loved about our wedding:

our cake: found that ribbon dirt cheap at The Pottery

my bouquet
the wren

husband & wife
dancing

history

never-get-old wedding songs

family & friends

dancing with daddy

 starting our life together

We are so thankful to everyone who made our day so amazing, and we thank God that He brought us together and has shown us each day how to love each other with a renewed spirit. Have a fabulous Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Awww, this post brought tears to my eyes! Loved reliving your special day! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures Megan - especially the pumpkin centerpieces, which are awesome. I hope you and Forrest have a great anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks From My Lens! We loved sharing this day with you!

    Anne...thanks! I so love pumpkins, so it was cool to incorporate them into the wedding!

    Thanks Kait!

    ReplyDelete