Thursday, October 27, 2011

DIY: Vintage Mirror Turns Chic Chalkboard


A few weeks ago I got a little crazy on Etsy staying up until about 2am looking through all of the awesome housewares they have. I saw several vintage mirrors that had been repainted to make chalkboards. I then went into the blogiverse and found a few people who had recently posted about how to do this. A college friend, Christina shows off her vintage mirror here. I also saw a post on The Real Housewives of Buck County with several pictures of the process. 

While I was at my parents' house recently spending a few days, my mom and I went through a storage space with a bunch of Nannie's furniture that we just haven't found a place for yet. We found this awesome vintage mirror and cleaned it up.



I spent several weeks just thinking about doing this, but this Sunday we had some great weather come our way, so I decided it was time to do it to it. I tried my own crazy way of doing this, and it didn't turn out so well, so I actually had to paint it twice to get the results I wanted.

The first round I used spray paint from Home Depot ($3.77 for the white frame paint and $4.79 for the chalkboard paint). I also bought paint tape and paper for about $4.00. Now I realize I didn't really need it, but that's okay.

Now here is a series of images of the wrong way to do this...way more work than necessary and the tape ends up peeling off the paint. You live you learn.




 I mean it looks like a good plan...right?


Forrest and I looked really classy sitting outside in our beach chairs. The security officer in our neighborhood asked us if we wanted him to open up the pool for us, and although it was an alluring offer, we thought it best to stay here looking as classy as ever. 


It actually turned out pretty well, but I wasn't in love with that white frame color.



So I went back to Home Depot and bought Satin Eden for $3.77. This time, the sun was quickly setting, so I threw down a sheet over two shoe boxes down in front of the apartment complex and sprayed the whole thing green.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=404&sid=257418


Here is the chalkboard spray paint I used in round 1.  






The chalkboard paint peeled the first time I painted this, but luckily I have a good friend over at Mrs. DIY and the Tennis Guy who had some extra chalkboard paint left over in a can that she was willing to let me borrow (it costs about $20 or more, so I was glad she was happy to share with me!). She came over a few nights ago and we enjoyed some pumpkin cupcakes, chatted about life, and finished up the project. I used a $.97 brush from Home Depot to paint the chalkboard space, and it turned out just great!



Even though I had to redo this project, it still only cost me about $16.00, thanks to the chalkboard paint donation!


We are finally under contract for a new house, and whether it is this house or another, this great chalkboard will be at the front door declaring a message of love when guests enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment