Friday, December 16, 2011

Peppermint Popcorn Bark

Growing up I didn't like peppermint. Probably even as recently as two winters ago I would have turned down any dessert with peppermint.

Then I bit into a Peppermint Joe-Joe from Trader Joe's.

wowza.

And so now I like peppermint. weird.

Wanna know what else I didn't like?

White chocolate. ugh.

I still don't like the really like rich white chocolates, but it turns out the cheaper it comes, the more I like it.

So...how did a peppermint-hating-white-chocolate-snubbing girl decide to make peppermint bark?

Well a few days ago my friend Kait, gifted me with some white and milk chocolate peppermint bark. And it turns out once I reached the bottom of the tin that I realized I do indeed like both white chocolate and peppermint. weird. 

Also during the giveaway, readers who signed up also commented about their favorite holiday cookie/treat. And peppermint bark turned up. I had recently seen a picture of peppermint popcorn bark on Pinterest and thought it would be fun to try it out.


I found the recipe over here and adapted it just a bit. I even bought the peppermint extract...but I forgot it. (that's okay I am making peppermint meringues this weekend!)

Peppermint Popcorn Bark
2 (3.5oz) bags of Tender White popcorn, popped
1 16oz package of peppermint candy canes, crushed
1 package of almond bark
(You can add peppermint extract or use a saltier-butterier popcorn...but tender white is my favorite)


Take out those candy canes and crush them using a food processor (or a meat tenderizer).


Pop the corn.

Put it in the biggest bowl you have in the kitchen and dump the candy canes on top.


Melt the white chocolate---use the directions on the package.



Pour the white chocolate over the the popcorn and candy-canes in the bowl and mix until the white chocolate covers the popcorn mixture. Pour out the mixture onto wax paper and spread out evenly. Let cool for 20 - 30 minutes, then break into smaller pieces.


We have a white-elefante (i have decided to exclusively use the Spanish word for elephant because I like it better) gift exchange at school today. Remember the peppermint bark I mentioned earlier...it came in this super cute tin.


Then I dressed it up with some twine and one of my pretty green tags.


 If you are giving out gifts at the office, this is a really budget friendly and low labor recipe (which is nice if you still have lots to do before Christmas Eve!).

Vanilla flavored almond bark = $2.88
peppermint candy canes = $.88
popcorn = <$5.00

Okay...I'm off to serve up my Chicken Tortilla Soup at the post-midterm Holiday Party at school today. Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful Friday!

2 comments:

  1. This stuff is ADDICTIVE! (sorry Dustin that we ate all of yours)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm contemplating making another batch now!

    ReplyDelete