Friday, January 6, 2012

Get Fit Friday {No. 1}

Happy Friday Everybody!

I have decided, as part of my "ways to improve my life in 2012", to add a new weekly segment to the blog--Get Fit Friday.

I wanted to start this back in September, but I was in a tough place emotionally about working out (I moved and was no longer teaching group fitness and I think I was really wrecked by this for a while)...so I decided to wait. I am finally at a place where I get really excited to work out again and am having a lot of fun each time I got to the gym. Forrest and I have been lifting together a lot and that has been a great way for us to spend quality time together after work. I also just found out I will be teaching a wee-hours-of-the-morning BODYPUMP class starting in 2 weeks...and I cannot wait!!!

Anyhow for today's first installment:


Five of My Favorite Exercises

I am very fortunate to have a former professional athlete as a husband who knows a thing or two about working out. Anytime we run out of ideas, we call up our buddy Gary (a personal trainer who at the age of 26 is the co-owner of 2 gyms!) to get some more ideas.

What I love about the following exercises is that they are all full-body exercises, and you don't see many people doing them at the gym. While doing the following exercises the past few months I have been asked 3 times if I am training for something! I like to respond with "Yeah...for Being Awesome!" haha. Okay here they are!

1) Single Leg RDLs on the Bosu Ball

I actually do these with weights instead of a cable machine and I do a single leg squat at the top.







2) Supine Rows

I do these with hands over the bar, not under...but this is what they look like. You can also do these with TRX cables, or with your feet on a Swiss ball.






3) Band Assisted Pull-Ups
(You can change your hand position--I do over the bar--to change the exercise)
I can't do them on my own yet (maybe 1) but my goal by the end of 2012 is 5 unassisted pull-ups.



4) Bosu Ball Pushups




5) Rotating Suicide Planks

Take this exercise and do it while moving your feet so that your entire body makes a 360 degree turn!



These are all challenging exercises that I hated the first few times I tried them, but luckily Forrest kept pushing me, and now I absolutely love adding these exercises to a workout. 

I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Megan, I saw this scarf on pinterest and thought of you - http://watchmedaddy.blogspot.com/2011/12/felt-flower-scarf-tutorial.html

    Have a great weekend. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that! I'm totally in love with that scarf!

    ReplyDelete